Breaking Down the ExpansionPunks NFT project
Put simply, Expansion Punks (xPunks) is an extension of the well known CryptoPunks NFT project. Cryptopunks is almost universally regarded a blue chip NFT. But the CryptoPunks project does have some shortcomings. The gender distribution is extremely skewed, and female cryptopunks are unable to take on traits, including most facial expressions. xPunks aims to fill these gaps in cryptopunks. The xPunks collection features an inverted gender distribution to the original @CryptoPunks. Collectively, the 20K collection (10K CryptoPunks + 10K ExpansionPunks) that better reflects the real world. xPunks aims to address the subtle biases that exist in the original CryptoPunks. Moreover, token ownership acts as your share-of-voice in the ExpansionDAO, a self-governing organization that will empower the community to direct our policies and Expansion Treasury investments.
I think that Expansion Punks is a great project. There are many CryptoPunk derivative projects, but the xPunks take is the most unique, and I believe the project has a lot of value, coexisting with CryptoPunks. xPunks does a good job of being inclusive. There are so many more options for buying female punks: you can now buy smiling ones and even zombie ones. There’s more…In line with the modern concept of gender, xPunks acknowledges that not everyone identifies as male or female. The xPunks collections contains non-binary punks. There seems to be a punk for everyone. The team has already done great work; they’ve launched their NFT explorer for several projects. The Explorer is a visual tool that lets you navigate, sort and filter the entire NFT collections. It looks like it could be really useful for NFT flipping or analysis. The ExpansionDAO is exciting; you can become a part owner and take part in the decision making process of the Expansion Treasury. Moreover, the project is moving towards being completely community owned. Each ExpansionPunk secondary sale only has a 1% royalty, and this amount goes towards funding the ExpansionDAO. Moreover, 34% of primary sales went towards funding the ExpansionDAO.It’s clear based on this policy and the work that’s already been done that the ExpansionPunk team is dedicated, and that this project is much more than just a cash grab.
- @posvar is one of the founders. He is extremely passionate about inclusivity and diversity. In fact, one of his goals with xPunks is to inspire his 3 daughters. @posvar also has a strong background with marketing and has accomplished quite a bit in the past decade or so. Currently he’s the Director of Marketing Services at Microsoft. You can look at his experience on his LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/posvar/ .
- @FlorianUhde is the other founder and the main developer. He has a personal mission of enabling and empowering others and believers that inclusivity are going to essential in the future of digitalization. @FlorianUhde worked as a Software Developer for Volkswagen where he did research on AR/VR. He has a ton of experience as a developer and seems capable. Here’s his LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/florianuhde/
Community is at the center of the project. I admit, xPunks does not have the most active or large discord. But the xPunks community is still very strong. There is no shortage of helpful people in the Discord. Moreover, everyone seems to be passionate about xPunks. There seems to be no shortage of xPunk hodlers. I find it interesting that there are so many given the collection’s interesting price history. People who minted are at a huge profit, and those who bought at the peak have watched their punks’ value tank. Nevertheless, it seems that there are hodlers that got in at all sorts of price points. They all seem to identify with xPunks’ goal on inclusivity and diversity.
Benefits and Features
- Partial Ownership in the ExpansionDAO
- Community rewards and charitable donations
- Link to website: https://expansionpunks.com/
- Link to NFT Explorer: https://expansionpunks.com/explorer/expansionpunks
- Link to discord: https://discord.gg/j8PxUmNEp3
Here are some useful articles to better understand the ExpansionPunks project, what it stands for, and what went into the development.